Arsenal vs Rennes – UEFA Europa League
15th March, 01:30 IST
Emirates Stadium, London
Please Note: Changes will be made to this article approximately 50-55 mins before the deadline. The article will be updated with the confirmed lineups and the revised combined XI when the official starting lineups are released by both the teams.
Arsenal: W W D L W
Rennes: W D W W W
English giants Arsenal will look to overcome a 3-1 deficit when they welcome Ligue 1 side Stade Rennes to the Emirates Stadium in London in a pivotal Round of 16 – 2nd Leg clash in the UEFA Europa League tonight.
Arsenal, who are currently locked in a 4-way battle with Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester United for the 3rd and 4th spot in the Premier League, will look at winning the Europa League as a possible route to qualifying for the UEFA Champions League next season. However, their hopes suffered a major setback when they went down 3-1 in Rennes thanks to a first-half red card for Sokratis.
Rennes, who are currently 8th in the French Ligue 1 table, put in a scintillating display to knock out Spanish side Real Betis 6-4 on aggregate in the previous round. With a two-goal lead in their bags, the French side will be in confident mood ahead of tonight’s clash.
Predicted Lineups (Updated):
Arsenal: Cech; Maitland-Niles, Koscielny, Mustafi, Monreal, Kolasinac; Ramsey, Xhaka, Ozil; Aubameyang, Lacazette.
Rennes: Koubek; Traoré, Da Silva, Mexer, Bensebaïni; André, Grenier; Sarr, Ben Arfa, Bourigeaud; Niang.
Combined XI for the game (Updated):
Captain & Vice-Captain Options:
- Ismaila Sarr
- Ben Arfa
- Danny Welbeck
- Rob Holding
- Hector Bellerin
- Lacazette and Aubameyang have formed a fearsome partnership up top for Arsenal.
- Sokratis is suspended and will not feature tonight. This may force Emery to revert to a 4-at-the-back defensive system.
- Rennes midfielders Hatem Ben Arfa, Bourigeaud and Ismaila Sarr are the key attacking threats for Arsenal tonight.
- Arsenal have kept a clean sheet in their 6 of their previous 8 Europa League encounters.
- Sead Kolasinac was also rested in the 1st leg and should feature prominently tonight. He is a big threat on the left flank for the Gunners.